Australian Airlines Ban Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on their Flights
17th Oct 2016
Typically, Qantas, Virgin Australia and Jetstar are at each other's throats and always trying to one-up each other, but when it comes to passenger safety, they all agree it must be protected. And if that means banning an expensive gadget, so be it. Especially if that gadget is liable to exploding at the most inopportune times (such as in-flight) such as Samsung Galaxy Note 7.
In other words, as of Sunday, 16th October, leave your new smartphone at home (preferably not plugged in) if you intend to travel with any of these carriers. Otherwise, they won't let you onboard.
Previously, Qantas Airways allowed passengers to carry their Galaxy Note 7s with them onboard, but had them turn the smartphone off. The Group has now expanded that restriction to a total ban of this gadget.
In a statement, Qantas Group said:
"This is due to concerns regarding potential fire risk from the device's battery after a number of incidents worldwide and follows a ban put in place by regulators overseas. The ban applies to devices being carried onto the aircraft, in carry-on baggage as well as check-in luggage. Other Samsung devices are not affected."
Rival carrier, Virgin Australia has also banned what could easily be Samsung's biggest smartphone failure from its flights.
A statement from VA said:
"Effective 12:01am AEDT on Sunday 16 October, guests travelling on Virgin Australia services must comply with this ban by not travelling with this device, whether on their person, in their carry on luggage or in a checked bag. This is due to safety concerns around the device and follows the implementation of a ban by the U.S. Department of Transportation."
Samsung sold approximately 2.5 million units worldwide since Galaxy Note 7's launch on 11th August. The South Korean manufacturer sold about 51,060 units in Australia alone at $1,349 per phone.
After the initial scare in September, Samsung briefly stopped selling these phones. It continued with the sale in early October, equipping units with new batteries, but when it was discovered that even the replacements were prone to battery defects, the smartphone manufacturer gave up and pulled the device from the market altogether.