Jetstar Bullish On Thai Market

5th Jan 2015

Starting in March 2015, the Vietnamese affiliate will commence its direct service between Hanoi and Bangkok, making it the second route from Vietnam to the Thai capital following the launch of the Ho Chi Minh-Bangkok service two weeks ago.

Jetstar Pacific Airlines is a joint venture between Vietnam Airlines, who holds 70% of the stakes, and Qantas of Australia, who holds the remaining 30%. The low-cost carrier was founded in 1991 as Pacific Airlines operating charter cargo service, but eventually acquired by state-owned Vietnam Airlines in 1995. It became Jetstar Pacific Airlines in 2007 when Qantas purchased from the Vietnamese government 30% of its shares.

The new service between Hanoi and Bangkok will be Jetstar Group's fifth route to the Thai capital following routes from Melbourne, Singapore, Fukuoka, and Ho Chi Minh.

The carrier currently operates a fleet of eight A320 jetliners, which are all configured to accommodate 180 passengers each. It will increase to 10 aircraft, as it is set to take delivery of the same A320 variant in the next few months.

Jetstar Pacific commenced international operations from Ho Chi Minh to Singapore on October last year. Its very first international service, however, was between Da Nang and Macau, which was launched in April 2014.

The newly-launched Ho Chi Minh-Bangkok service is its third international route from Vietnam.

Jetstar Pacific operates from its hub in Ho Chi Minh's Tan Son Nhat International Airport, with a focus hub in Hanoi's Noi Bai International Airport.

The budget airline currently operates a total of 380 weekly flights to 13 destinations, three of which are international.

Its domestic route network includes Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Da Nang, Buon Ma Thuot, Hai Phong, Hue, Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, Vinh, and Tho Xuan.

Its international network includes Macau (with Da Nang), Singapore (with Ho Chi Minh), and Bangkok (with Ho Chi Minh).