Jetstar in the Top 10 Safest LCCs in the World
30th May 2016
A single plane crash can ruin the reputation of an airline for good (see Malaysia Airlines). However, it seems that carriers who manage to safely transport their passengers from point A to point B on a regular basis just don't seem to get as much space in the media as those who don't.
This is why AirlineRatings.com has compiled a list of top 10 safest low-cost carriers in the world. Australian Jetstar entered the list at number 8.
The website evaluated each airline based on several factors: fatality record in the past decade, standing with international regulators, results from an International Air Transport Association (IATA) safety audit and if the country where the carrier is based is following the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) safety parameters.
So, here are the world's top 10 safest LCCs:
1. Virgin America. Virgin America never had a fatality since it started operating in 2007. However, with Alaska Airlines recently buying the airline for US$2.6 billion, it remains to be seen if Virgin America will be around for much longer.
2. Volaris. The Mexican-based LCC hasn't had a crash with fatalities in its 11 year history. This, in large part, allowed it to become the second largest Mexican airline, behind Aeromexico.
3. HK Express. This low-cost carrier started as a regional airline servicing mainland China in 2004, but in 2011 the Hong Kong-based airline became a low-budget carrier and started flying all over Southeast Asia. It had no fatalities in its history.
4. Flybe. While most airlines on this list so far have been founded in the 21st century, the Southwest England-based LCC was established in 1979. This makes its track record of 0 fatalities in history a great achievement.
5. WestJet. Canada's biggest LCC should not only be praised for its quality of in-flight entertainment (something that most LCCs are sorely lacking), but also for the fact that it had one of its planes crash.
6. TUI Fly. The German-based holiday charter carrier has never had a crash in its history.
7. Thomas Cook. It is another charter airline with a spotless safety record and 0 crashes in history.
8. Jetstar. The LCC subsidiary of Qantas has not had a crash in its history. The airline was founded in 2003. In addition, AirlineRatings.com named it Best New World Carrier two years in a row, for 2015 and 2016.
9. JetBlue. According to AirlineRatings.com, JetBlue is the best LCC in North and South America. It hasn't had a single crash in its history.
10. Aer Lingus. The national carrier of Ireland is the only airline on this list that had a fatal accident, but that was in the 1960.