Qantas Plane Aborts Sydney Landing Due to Malfunction

15th Sep 2016

A Qantas Flight QF1474, from Canberra to Sydney had to abort its landing on final approach to Sydney Airport on Thursday due to a "malfunction" alert in the cockpit just moments after the captain had its wheels lowered.

The Dash 8-300 plane descended to the runway at about 1:45 pm and was at 1300 feet altitude when the alert sounded and the pilot raised the wheels, climbed away and turned the Dash 8-300 in the direction of the sea.

During all of this, the captain did his best to make sure passengers stayed calmed, saying over the cabin speaker:

"I apologise for the delay, safety is my main concern and I was taking no chances with this kind of malfunction."

The captain explained that a malfunction alert had been sounded and he and the co-pilot would have to "go around" and go through the necessary checklist of procedures before they can attempt another landing at the Sydney Airport.

During all of this, while the plane was in the air, fire trucks and emergency services were ready down at the runway.

The passengers themselves were very calm considering the situation and initially believed that the aborted landing was due to heavy winds to which their flight was subjected for most of the journey.

Finally, the plane landed on the runway at 2:18 pm, with smoke billowing from the wheel and brake section's left side. In addition, there was also a big hole in the wheel itself, most likely from the hard break landing.

Thankfully, because the plane has a double set of wheels, there was no danger here.

However, the passengers were told to remain in their seats and not leave the aircraft until fire crews have finished the inspection of the aircraft's exterior.

Finally, after about 20 minutes since the plane landed, the relieved passengers were allowed to disembark.

A spokesperson for Qantas confirmed the incident and said that all landing procedures undertaken by the captain and his co-pilot were "textbook".

The Dash 8-300 was immediately taken out of service while the engineers figure out what caused the malfunction.